Sunday, June 8, 2008

Words for Thought

One of the gifts we received for our wedding was a subscription to Marriage Partnership a magazine published by Christianity Today. I really enjoy the magazine - it's always a treat when it arrives in my mailbox. This afternoon I was reading the latest issue while Hubs was on the couch playing a computer game. When I finished the magazine, I asked him if he wanted to read it. He replied with a quick "no". At first I was a little offended. My first thought was "Why doesn't he want to read about how we can have a better marriage??" And then, I think the Holy Spirit stepped in and reminded me that every week he gets Sports Illustrated and various Business Magazines that he loves - and he never asks me if I want to read them...and if he were to ask, I would say "no" just as quickly. However, if there is an article that he wants me to read, then he brings it to my attention. And I gladly read it. I know the same would be true of him if I were to do the same...

Anyway, in the current magazine issue I found this article particularly challenging. The author, Jonalyn Grace Fincher, talks about the issue of Love and Respect - two words that are commonly used with the idea of Christian marriage. She writes about how the two aren't really gender specific.

A couple quotes I liked:
  • "Despite my womanhood, I am not a naturally loving person. I act with impatience, stonewalled silence, and selfishness just as quickly as a man...."
  • "I have to get to know him, not what I think he should want, but what he truly wants."
  • "I discovered that I could respect my husband beautifully but fail to love him completely."
  • "Loving him means I unlock my opinions to him. I discover what I uniquely bring to our relationship."
Take some time to read the article - and leave a comment - I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: