Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quick Breads


The other day the grocery store had zucchini on sale. Mmmm...zucchini bread! I bought five little squashes and have made four loaves of zucchini bread. Yesterday, I went to a local coffee shop and they had a bread that was called haven bread - and it was loaded with nuts, raisins, carrots, coconut, and I have no idea what else. It was delicious! I am finding that quick breads are a great snack for this prego momma. I need little protein boosts throughout the day - and breads with good things baked inside are the perfect answer.

So, my question for you is do you have any recipes for quick bread that you'd like to share?

Here's mine for zucchini bread. Actually, it's a recipe from my Aunt Polly - and it's totally my favorite.

Aunt Polly's Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1 teas salt
3 teas cinnamon
1/2 teas nutmeg
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup oil
2 1/2 Cup shredded zucchini
3 cups flour
1 teas soda
1 teas baking powder
1/2 cup raisins

Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla. Sift all dry ingredients together and combine with squash, eggs, oil, raisins and nuts. Mix well. Divide mixture into two greased bread pans. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Yum,
The Germans look at me like I am crazy when I talk about Zucchini bread etc.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Mmmm - I've been given lots of zucchini lately and just made some of this the other day! Our recipes look very similar! Enjoy! :)

Mom2Drew said...

I don't have any quick bread recipies, but appreciate the way they taste when they are done:) Rachel is a bread making genius, I hope she chimes in.

Brie said...

I love quick breads...my favorite two are zucchini and banana. I have a great easy recipe for banana and I'll try to remember to grab it and post it here for you.

My hubby loves zucchini bread so I should make some of that for him here soon.

*carrie* said...

Rebecca,

I'm a big fan of most baked goods! =)

My favorite recipe right now (esp. since you mentioned higher protein) is a peanut butter banana muffin from Deceptively Delicious. I posted it on my blog, just scan through "recipes."

Rachel said...

I love banana blueberry muffins with wheat germ thrown in or freshly ground whole wheat flour. I also add oats to a lot of breads and muffins for a bit of extra fiber. Although I do love quick/sweet breads, I often make the recipes into muffins instead for portion control for me and for on the go snacks for the whole family. Nuts would add some protein but we are currently a nut-free home. But with the right muffin or bread, pairing it with a cheese stick would be a pretty nutritionally balanced snack.