Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A literary moment

During a weekend of much needed rest, I spent most of my time watching movies in bed. It's been a very long time since I've been able to do that! My Hubby was my hero this weekend as he came home early on Friday - and did nothing but take care of me and Little One all weekend while I rested.

One of the movies that I saw was Becoming Jane. I loved it! It's a story about Jane Austen prior to becoming the author. I loved it on many levels - the first being that Anne Hathaway is such a doll! I loved her in Disney's Princess Diaries and it was really fun to see her act in a more mature roll. I thought the movie did a great job portraying events in Jane's life that she could have incorporated into her novels. For example, in the movie Jane's mother is surprisingly similar to Mrs Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. I also liked how they expounded on the character of Tom Lafoy. As I recall from the courses that I took in college, not much was known about Tom, just that he was an romantic interest for Jane and that they did not marry. I liked how they gave him such a charming personality - and oh so handsome! :)

After thoroughly enjoying the movie, I went to the special features and was even more delighted. There is an option to watch the movie with pop-ups and bubbles - and I was so impressed with all that I learned! They give you facts about the era, the actors, and settings. THEN I watched The Real Jane commentary and squealed with delight to see one of my English Professors, Joan Ray, interviewed. Professor Ray is the President of the North American Jane Austen society, and the one to whom I owe my love for Jane Austen. She introduced a world to me that I would have never known and there she was being interviewed!

If you haven't seen this movie yet, and if you enjoy Jane Austen I encourage you to check it out! I think for me, it's a definite for the home library.

3 comments:

Susan said...

oh, it sounds lovely. I will see if they have it in Germany. That is so great your professor was interviewed. How fun!

*carrie* said...

Rebecca,

I enjoyed this movie, too. I saw it in the theatre, so was unaware of all the extras on the DVD. Will have to check it out!

Monica Wilkinson said...

I loved this movie too - and saw it in the theatre also.

Off topic - but I LOVE your new blog look! So cute!